Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day (TODS)
What is TODS?
TODS is an annual national celebration of employers hosting children at their workplace. Designed to be more than a career day, TODS not only exposes girls and boys to what a parent or mentor does during his/her workday, but shows children the value of their education and provides an opportunity to share how they envision their future and begin steps toward their goals in a hands-on and interactive environment. Kids will have the opportunity to see how our UC Davis community functions, instructs, learns and grows. Davis Campus TODS is Thursday, April 27th, 2017.
- Make pottery and grind acorns with the Anthropology department.
- Experience what it is like to work in agriculture and plant some vegetables to bring home.
- Enjoy a reprise of the famous Picnic Day Chemistry Show.
- Eat well like a university student and enjoy a $2 lunch at one of the 3 campus dining halls.
- Meet some of our research rats and see how they live and how we help them as they help us.
- Become familiar with the adorably fuzzy faces of our beautiful UC Davis dairy cows.
- Older guests (10+) are invited to experience behind-the scenes of our world-famous Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
- Tour the Segundo Dining Hall and learn how tons of food is made each day!
- Explore Chinese culture with Chinese crafts and food at the Confucius Institute.
- Visit feathered friends at the Raptor Center.
- Taste some honey and see how wine is made at the Robert Mondavi Wine and Food Science Center.
- Toodle around in one of our famous double-decker busses and see how we keep ’em running.
- Get a peek at animal skins, nests, eggs, and skeletons collected by scientists/explorers from creatures around the world at the Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology.
- Let the stick bugs crawl on your hands at the always entertaining Bohart Museum.
- Discover plants from the world’s deserts and tropical forests, some which are carnivorous!
- Sound the police siren and spray the fire hose at our Police and Fire Stations.
- See what it's like to be an Aggie Football player and experience the stadium from inside-out.
- Bring a picnic lunch to the Bee Haven where docents will teach you about our native bees.
- Check out the tiny world of plants and animals through the eyes of a microscope .
- Explore backstage at the Mondavi Center.
- Explore the artifacts, bones, stones and pottery at the Archaeology Lab.
- Listen, play and dance at the Band-Uh performance and “Instrument Zoo”
We like to think of it as a family-oriented “mini Picnic Day” just for kids, age 6-12. However, the younger set are not completely excluded, some of the open house activities such as lunch at the dining hall, watching the Chemistry Show, visiting Bee Haven and the Bohart Museum can be great activities for those under six.
This event is for staff, faculty, students and their youth guests. Participating employees should coordinate with their supervisors time away from work locations to ensure coverage for operational needs. Release time is appropriate with supervisory approval.
Registration for Davis Campus TODS: Two Tiers...
- This year for TODS, we ask all to please register for the overall day on the TODS REGISTRATION PAGE This page will be active beginning April 4 and open through April 26.
- Within this page you can also register for those specific activities requiring specific event enrollment due to an enrollment cap. Specific Event Enrollment day is Friday, April 21 from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Most activities/events do not require enrollment. Those that do this year are: Anthropology Crafting, Dairy Barn, Honey and Wine, MWFB, Rats, Unitrans and VMTH. Once the Event Enrollment Cap is reached, you will be put on a wait list and notified if you are moved onto the enrolled list. If you don't hear back from us by end of day Monday, April 24 you are not enrolled. Children under the age of six are not eligible for event enrollment.
This year, activities with Event Enrollment may require you to bring a print-out of your enrollment confirmation to check-in at the specific event. To make sure everyone gets a chance to see something fun, registrants may only enroll up to four people for two different Event Enrollment activities.If you are able to secure an enrollment activity that has less than 12 participants, please let us know ASAP if you cannot attend so we can pull from the waitlist. Instructions will come with your confirmation.
Kid Friendly Ongoing Active and Desk-Based activities on the Davis Campus (and off):
- California Raptor Center Please keep visiting groups to 6 or less people to minimize stress to the birds.
- Bee Haven
- Songbird Nestbox building activity from MWFB
- Microscope Services Molecular Expressions Photo Galleries (cool pictures and screen savers of things up close)
- US Government Career Website for Kids
- National TODS Foundation Activity Center Webpage
100%: of participants surveyed said that they would recommend this event to their fellow employees
“I value, enjoyed, and appreciate all events put on by volunteering departments. For yet another successful TODS event, all the departments were great andprovided a variety of educational activities that my kids greatly enjoyed and appreciated. Thank you for all the hard work and effort set forth for TODS.”
“I enjoyed the diversity of activities that I could expose my child to.”
“We really enjoyed the demonstrations and tours that we took. Everyone was well prepared, and we never felt rushed to get in and out of the classrooms or buildings. Everyone was very welcoming and interactive with the kids.”
"I absolutely love this event! I think it's value to the staff and their children is immeasurable due to it's educational value as well as team building to the whole campus itself. It allows staff that may not see what else is being done on campus to explore and feel proud of the place we work! Love Love Love it!! Thanks so much!"
Check out some of the videos here: