Navigating the many paths and concerns of maternity can be confusing, here we hope to give our UC Davis family members the "first steps" of what and "where" you need to know when entering the world of parenting and the increased responsibilities and challenges of integrating work and life.
We start with UC-specific benefit and policy information, broader policies, and your local contact for Maternity Benefits. We follow-up with some pertinent health and safety issues and then list some UC and local supports. We strongly suggest you peruse our WorkLife and Wellness site as you will find solutions and resources for many issues that will likely become increasingly relevant in this new chapter of life.
Benefits & Policies
- Key resource for UC employees: UC Net Link: What to do if You're Having A Baby
- Helpful PDF: University of California Pregnancy, Newborn Child and Adopted Child Fact Sheet
- University of California Family and Medical Leave Fact Sheet
- University of California Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- University of California Basic and Voluntary Disability
- University of California Family and medical leave Fact Sheet
- UC Davis Health Leave of Absence Resource page
- Website: "The Pregnant Scholar" Information on Title IX protections/obligations in an academic setting
- "A Postdoc's Guide to Pregnancey and Maternity Leave" National Postdoctoral Assn.
- HR representative: Yvette Gutierrez, Benefits Analyst, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upcoming Pregnancy Leave Workshops (course code 01677). To enroll use your Kerberos account to log on to the UC Learning Center http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/hr/hrdepts/benefits/workshop.html
Health and Safety
- UC Davis Safety Services Pregnancy Information:
- Pregnancy and Reproductive Hazards in the Workplace: Chemical and Radiological Hazards
- Pregnancy and Reproductive Hazards in the Workplace: Physical and Biological Hazards
- Pregnancy and the University Workplace
- Disability Management Services
- CDC, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) : The Effects of Workplace Hazards on Female Reproductive Health
UC Davis Breastfeeding Support Program
Baby & Me support group welcomes moms, dads and other primary caregivers of infants from birth to 9 months. The goal of the group, led by an expert, is to provide a place where parents can learn from one another while building friendships and creating a support community. Baby & Me meets every Tuesday at 9:00 am beginning February 2, 2016 at Sweet Potato Pie 528 Main Street, Woodland. No reservation is necessary and parents are encouraged to simply stop by and join in. For more information, contact Janelle at 530-662-8000 or email@example.com.
Mother and Baby Source Davis New Parent Group
New Parent Network/Davis Food Coop: An informal gathering in the COOP Teaching Kitchen (537 G Street) for new and expecting parents and their little ones. The meetings are free and aimed at fun education and support for eachother. Every Tuesday, 10:00-11:00.
UC Davis Graduate, Undergraduate and Professional Student Parents Facebook Page
Woodland Healthcare New Parent Support Group: Join Woodland Healthcare lactation consultants and staff, along with other new mothers to answer questions and share the challenges and joys of bringing baby home. You are welcome to bring your baby, significant other and family members to this support group. The support group is bilingual, open to the public and FREE of charge. The support group meets every second and fourth Monday (except holidays) from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Woodland Medical Office, Education Classroom, 632 W. Gibson Road. For more information, call 530.669.5420.