Student Parent Resource Page
Being a Student Parent can be particularly challenging; multiple responsibilites, financial strain, partner considerations, too much multi-tasking and feeling like a minority on campus can make the path a bit more difficult to navigate. This page, as well as the Graduate Studies Students and Families page can assist you in your search for answers.
- Graduate Studies Resources for Graduate Students and Families Page has resources on health insurance, child care, breastfeeding support (our pages) PELP, and Housing.
- Breastfeeding Support Program is for students as well as staff. We offer lactation rooms, free consults, classes, support groups. We just ask that you register so we can let you know all the great things we offer you and your partner!
- Know your Rights! Title IX protection for the breastfeeding student.
- Yolo County WIC Breastfeeding Promotion and Support (warmline, pump loans, consultation)
- Child Care Funding: Student Parent Child Care Funding All campus child care grants are processed through WorkLife and Wellness. We partner with Financial Aid and Graduate Studies to provide complete packages for financial need-based and non-financial need-based care. Also visit the Child Care Financial Assistance page for other options in the community and within departments for aid, scholarships, and low-cost child care.
- Child Care Options: Local options are listed including day care, sitters, after-school programs and more options for care..
- Local Schools , Resources and Recreation Programs
- The Pregnant Scholar: Website dedicated to informing how Title IX protects student parents.
- "A Postdoc's Guide to Pregnancey and Maternity Leave" National Postdoctoral Assn.
- Parental Leave: Contact your hiring department staff for information.
Support and Playgroups
- Graduate, Undergraduate, and Professional Student Parents Facebook page. A support group for graduate and professional mothers and their partners. This group also welcomes expecting mothers. Based at UC Davis.
- UC Davis Health System Parent Resource Group Facebook page. This is a closed group to support faculty, staff and postgraduates trainees (e.g., medical students, fellow, postdocs, graduate students) (and perhaps others?, TBD)) of the UC Davis Health System. The purpose of the group is to provide information on where employees and trainees can find parenting resources to help us manage an appropriate work/life balance.
- New Parent Network Davis Food Coop: An informal gathering in the COOP Teaching Kitchen (537 G Street) for new and expecting parents and their little ones. The meetings are free and aimed at fun education and support for eachother.
- 211Yolo Informational hub linking residents to health and human services, subsidy information and resources in the community.
- Family Budget Calculator from CalBudget Center.org
- Cost of Living website: bestplaces.net
- Graduate Cost of Attendance
- UCD Economic Crisis Response
- UCD Family Housing Options
- UC SHIP Health Benefits Information Medical insurance and dependent coverage
- Child Care Funding: Student Parent Child Care Funding
- Child Care Financial Assistance page for other options in the community and within departments for aid, scholarships, and low-cost child care.
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts Student Academic Employees and Graduate Student Researchers are eligible.
- VITA: Free tax preparation and assistance for UC Davis affiliates
- Food Resources for Students in and around Davis
Places to trade/find recycled baby and child items:
Davis, Dixon and Woodland:
- Wiki Thrift Stores
- Davis Freecycle
- Davis CA Barter and Sell
- Davis Sale or Trade
- Buy and Sell in Davis
- Davis Kids2Kids
- Davis CA Online Yard Sale
- Dixon Moms and Kids Sale
- Woodland CA Freecycle