Being both a student and a parent comes with its own set of unique challenges and responsibilities. At UC Davis, we’re here to help you navigate the many options and resources available to you.
Please check out the Executive Summary of the Graduate/Professional Student Parent Experience Survey conducted by the Child and Family Care Advisory Committee. Thanks to all who participated!
UC Davis Resources
- Graduate Studies Resources for Graduate Students and Families:
Resources on health insurance, child care, breastfeeding support, PELP, and housing.
- Health Insurance (UC SHIP) for students and their dependents
- Guidelines for Student Parents/Guardians with Children on Campus:
These guidelines strive to balance the needs of the student parent/guardian and offer information on bringing children to campus.
- Aggie Compass
A student community space where students can access basic financial needs resources, pick up fresh fruits and vegetables and receive CalFresh enrollment assistance.
- UC Davis Lactation Support Program:
For all students and staff. The program offers lactation rooms, free consults, classes, and support groups. Registration required.
- Women's Resources and Research Center Student Parent Supply Closet and Activities
- Know your Rights!:
Title IX protection for the breastfeeding student.
- The Pregnant Scholar:
Website dedicated to informing how Title IX protects student parents.
- Child Care Options:
Local options are listed including day care, sitters, after-school programs and more options for care.
- Financial Assistance for Families UC Davis WorkLife Financial Assistance page
- A Postdoc's Guide to Pregnancy and Maternity Leave:
National Postdoctoral Association
- Local Schools, Resources and Recreation Programs
- Parental Leave: Contact your hiring department staff for information.
Child Care Funding Options for Students at UC Davis:
- The Student Parent Child Care Grant (housed here in WorkLife) is processed through the Financial Aid office.
- Students attending a UC who have dependent children under the age of 18, and are receiving more than half of their support from you, may be eligible to receive an access award of up to $6,000 at webgrants4students.org from the California Student Aid Commission.
- The Financial Aid Office offers loans to help student who have dependent children and related child care expenses through an Alternative Budget Request. This request increases the student's budget to cover additional family expense. The increased budget will be met by loan if eligible. Applicants who are married, or with dependent children age 18 and under, should submit an Alternative Budget Request Form. The form is available online for undergraduate or graduate students. Professional Students should contact their respective Financial Aid Office.
- More financial assistance for student parents can be found on our Financial Assistance Page.
Support and Playgroups
- Graduate, undergraduate, and professional student parents Facebook page.
A support group for graduate and professional mothers and their partners. This group also welcomes expecting mothers.
- UC Davis Health System Parent Resource Group Facebook page. This is a closed group to support faculty, staff and postgraduates trainees of the UC Davis Health System.
- Yolo Center for Families
- Nurse Home Visiting for Pregnant and Parenting Families, provides in-home visits and support for pregnant and parenting families. Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency 530-666-8340
- The New Family Financial Road Map from Mom and Dad Money
- 211 Yolo: Information on subsidies, and health and human services
- Cost of Living in Sacramento
- Finance for PhD students
- Family Budget Calculator
- Graduate Cost of Attendance
- UCD Economic Crisis Response
- UCD Family Housing Options
- UC SHIP Health Benefits Information: Medical insurance and dependent coverage
- Child Care Funding
- Child Care Financial Assistance: Options in the community and within departments for aid, scholarships, and low-cost child care
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts: Student academic employees and graduate student researchers are eligible
- VITA: Free tax preparation and assistance for UC Davis affiliates
- Food Resources for Students in and around Davis
- Student Parent Closet at WRRC: Free diapers, wipes, supplies for student parents on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, at the Women's Resources and Research Center on the first floor of North Hall
- Student Budgeting Calculator
- How to Pay Off Student Loans Fast: 15 Ways to Deal with Your Debt
- Student Loan Consolidation Guide
- Student Loan Calculator
- 529 Plans: Information on college savings
Places to trade/find recycled baby and child items:
Davis, Dixon and Woodland:
- Wiki Thrift Stores
- Davis Freecycle
- Davis CA Barter and Sell
- Davis Sale or Trade
- Buy and Sell in Davis
- Davis Kids2Kids
- Davis CA Online Yard Sale
- Dixon Moms and Kids Sale
- Woodland CA Freecycle