Please see our new and archived newsletters
Fall 2016 "Questions for Health Care Providers"
Spring/Summer 2016 "Resources"
Winter 2016 "Plastics"
Fall 2015 "Accomplishing Breastfeeding Goals"
Spring & Summer 2015 “Galactagogues” (a substance professing to promote lactation of increase milk production) FAQ: “What’s the best nipple to use when choosing a bottle for my breastfed baby?
Winter 2015 “Role of Fathers/Partners in Breastfeeding Success”
Fall 2014 “National Work & Family Month” LINK: “Make Breast Pumps not Suck” – MIT Media Lab Hackathon, LINK: “Miracle Food, Unraveling the Mysteries of Mother’s Milk” -- UCD collaboration of researchers, Fall 2014
Spring & Summer 2014 “Human Milk Donor Banks”
Winter 2014 “If Breastfeeding is so natural, why can it be so difficult?”
Fall 2013 “University of California, Office of the President, Personnel Policy for Staff Members:PPSM84 “Accommodations for Nursing Mothers” LINK: “Breastfeeding Fraught with Early Challenges for Most First-time Mothers” – UCD researchers support ‘Continuum of Care’ for mothers wanting to breastfeed
Spring & Summer 2013 “Expression of Milk – identifying and managing low milk supply”
Winter 2013 “Yeast Infections”
Fall 2012 “Breastfeeding and the Holidays” FAQ: “How do I know that my breastfed baby is getting enough milk?
Good News About Ourselves:
The UC Davis Breastfeeding Support Program received the 2016 IBCLC Care Award and was recently recognized by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners for excellence in lactation care. We first applied and received the biennial award in 2014.
The award is presented to agencies demonstrating the promotion, protection and support of breastfeeding in their community. The BFSP is recognized for further extending outreach activities on campus and to the greater Davis community with the introduction of the BFSP newsletter, the relationship with the campus Child Development centers and the access to UC Davis professional resources dedicated to the research and development of evidence-based practices in lactation, breastfeeding, infant nutrition and breast milk, as well as bringing translational theory to practice.
The UC Davis Breastfeeding Support Program was awarded the California Mother-Baby Friendly Workplace Award for 2015!
Recent Breastfeeding News and Research:
- Protein-Trapped Sugar Compounds Nourish Infant Gut Microbes UC Davis News April 15, 2016
- Gut Microbes and Milk Compounds Tackle Childhood Malnutrition UC Davis News February 18, 2016
- UC Davis Medicine Publication Fall 2014, "Miracle Food, Unraveling the Mysteries of Mother's Milk"
- Breastfeeding Supplies Tax Break Approved
- UCD Study: Monkey Teeth Age of Weaning?
- UC Davis Research: Breastmilk Reveals Clues for Health
- Outcomes of Breastfeeding versus Formula Feeding Nov 2013 Evergreen Perinatal Education
- Breastfeeding Saves Mothers' Lives, too October 2013 The Davis Enterprise