PeopleAdmin is comprised of two primary modules, Position Management and Recruitment.
Position Management: a module which actions such as creating or editing position descriptions, vacating or inactivating positions, or managing compensation actions are accomplished. For details on the process, refer to the position management guide.
Recruitment: a module in which the department can initiate and process all types of recruitments, by using a position description approved to the library in the position management mode. For details on the recruitment process refer to the requisition/recruitment guide.
Quick Tips for Using PA
The quick tips below should answer your most common questions and concerns in the Position Management and Recruitment System. They provide step-by-step instruction for completing specific actions. If you would like to suggest a topic, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also reference the guides to the right for more detailed information.
Add, Update or Inactivate Department Users
Add a Department User:
- Visit PeopleAdmin
- Select ‘Create/Authorize’ and complete all information fields.
- Click [Continue] and [Confirm].
Note: The request will route and be approved by the PeopleAdmin Administrator within 48 hours.
Update or Inactivate a Department User
- Email email@example.com
- Include your name, phone number, department and your change request.
Note: Your request will route to the PA Help Desk and processed within 48 hours.
The Attach documents tab allows department to attach documents. For example, please include:
- An organization chart for all reclassification requests.
- Current position description, if the position has not been populated in PA.
- Approval memo for stipends or equities.
Using the copy feature in PeopleAdmin can save you time, in addition to ensuring a quicker turnaround time in Human Resources. If you need to make significant revisions to a position, it’s best to not use this feature. A copied action may be returned, if the changes are significant. Use the copy feature for:
- Filling multiple hire requisitions, create/copy a separate position/action for each hire in the Position Management module.
- Creating a position that is an exact duplicate of a position already saved/existing in the PA library.
- Copying a major portion of a position in the PA library. However, be sure to describe any changes in the Justification for Request field.
Provide a brief (10–15 lines of text) encapsulation in this field of the overall job (use action verbs). This summary will be viewable by applicants on the Requisition. Note: Begin with the type of supervision received.
- Under the direction of the lab manager, perform experiments and analyze results
- Under the direct supervision of the principal investigator, install and maintain research equipment
- Under the general supervision of the office manager, process payroll and personnel actions for staff
Justification for Request
This field explains to Compensation what you are requesting and it also assists in prioritizing work received. Providing sufficient information ensures a quicker turnaround. Include in your justification (as applicable):
- Review - Recruitment:
- Percent of appointment
- New vacancy or Replacement Vacancy – who left?
- Short Term Employment – if a direct hire, their name. Duration of appointment?
- Waiver of Recruitment – for whom? Why is a waiver necessary?
- PSS or MSP Contract – for whom? Duration for appointment?
- Review - Reclass: Why? Briefly describe the changes and when the changes occurred.
- Review - Update: Briefly describe the changes being made, if any.
- Stipend: Why? Monthly amount, plus begin and end dates.
- Equity: Rationale for the request? Indicate date received. Note: retroactive effective dates must be approved by Compensation Services. For PSS or represented positions, indicate who approved the equity. For MSP requests, indicate the VC or Dean’s support. The AVC HR must approve MSP requests.
A supervisor is an individual who has the direct responsibility for or effectively recommends on the hiring and evaluation of staff including responsibility involving grievances; determines, distributes, and supervises the work performed and approves leaves and overtime. Supervisors have the authority to transfer, suspend, layoff/recall, promote, and reward staff.
List the positions which this position directly and/or indirectly supervises. Direct supervision refers to employees who report directly to this position. Indirect supervision refers to employees who report to a subordinate supervisor who reports to the position. Then list the total number of employees who are both directly and indirectly supervised by this position. If the position functions as a “lead”, or if the position is responsible for directing the work of postdocs or graduate students, enter N/A.
- Direct Supervision: Administrative Specialist II-Supervisor. – 1.0 FTE
- Sr. Building Maintenance Worker – 2.5 FTE
- Indirect Supervision: Assistant II – 3.0 FTE
- Total: 6.5 FTE
Reuse STE or Contract Position Number
Effective immediately, you may reuse a previously filled STE or contract position number to repeat the same type of hire (i.e., another STE or contract hire) with the same responsibilities versus creating a new position number. Most common examples are coaches (Student Affairs), writers (Law School) and program assistants (University Extension). However, it happens occasionally in other areas.
Creating a new position is mandatory when the department wants a career hire that was once STE or contract.
Vacate a Position in the Library
Use the Vacate Position action when an incumbent is leaving the position and you intend to refill the position. Completing the Vacate Position action removes the current incumbent’s name and employee ID number from the position record, and flags the record as an “Open Position”. You should vacate the position before beginning another action such as modifying the position for recruitment or generating a requisition. You may begin recruitment prior to an employee’s actual departure date, even if the departure date overlaps the start date of their replacement. Processing this action in PeopleAdmin will not impact the current employee’s payroll (PPS). Note: Vacate actions are permissible by Approver 1 or 2 roles only.
Viewing Decision Details through the Historical Link
Users are notified of status changes (saved to the library, cancel action, pending union review, etc.) via an automated email. Approver 1 and 2 roles have access to view all historical actions. Department Initiators have access to view only historical actions in which they were originally designated access.