Your Health Care Facilitator Program specializes in troubleshooting the use of UC health plans—and coordinating them with Medicare
Streaming video updated
Just in time for retirement season, streaming video of the Health Insurance After You Retire presentation has been updated for 2021.
- Presentations for Active Employees—Video available: Health Insurance After You Retire
2021 UC medical plans
Open Enrollment closed at at 5 p.m. on 11/24/2020, but it's not too late to learn more about UC's employee and retiree medical plans. While live presentations were not offered due to the pandemic, streaming video of HCF Program presentations is available 24 x 7.
- Presentations for Active Employees—Video available: UC Medical Plan Overview
- Presentations for Retirees—Video available: UC Retiree Medical Plans
Premiums for 2021
- Employee rates [PDF]
- Note: The UC Blue & Gold HMO rates on the UCnet website and included in the UC Open Enrollment brochure mailed to your residence, are NOT the rates for UC Davis and ANR employees. A black-and-white insert in the mailing DOES contain the correct rates.
- Retiree rates: 2021 UC Retiree Premium Estimator [Excel]
Regional Medical Plan Availability: The 2021 UC Medical Plan Availability Tool [Excel] indicates plan availability by ZIP code and county.
Local Medical Provider Availability by Plan
- More On UC Medical Plans [PDF]; lists all major local medical groups
- UC Davis Medical Group availability by plan [PDF]; includes link to information on the new clinic on the Davis campus
Compare plans side-by-side
UCnet 2021 health plan information: ucal.us/oe
Telemedicine as a COVID-19 precaution
Several UC medical plans offer coverage for over-the-phone or web-based virtual visits. Please consider taking advantage of them to reduce your exposure to COVID-19 by staying home.
More information: Your health plan’s response to COVID-19
Additionally, all UC medical plans offer 24-hour nurse advice lines; see the back of your medical plan ID card for the phone number.
2020 UC medical plans
Premiums for 2020
- Employee rates
- Note: The UC Blue & Gold HMO rates published on UCnet and included in the UC Open Enrollment booklet that will be mailed to your residence, are NOT the correct rates.
- Retiree rates: 2020 UC Retiree Premium Estimator [Excel]
Medical Plan Comparison Spreadsheets
- Which medical plan is right for you?
- Retirees only: Which Medicare plan is right for you?
Regional Medical Plan Availability: The 2020 UC Medical Plan Availability Tool [Excel] indicates plan availability by ZIP code and county.
Local Medical Provider Availability by Plan: More On UC Medical Plans [PDF] for 2020.
UC considers changes to retiree health contributions
A Retiree Health Benefits Working Group has been formed to provide input regarding reductions and/or changes in strategy toward UC's contributions to retiree health coverage. More information can be found on UCnet.
See the UC Davis Retiree Center site for updates on the Working Group.
UC Simplifies Retiree Health Benefits Rules
To simplify administration and respond to the concerns of newer employees hired before 7/1/2013, UC changed the eligibility rules for retiree health benefits.
Did You Know?
Most of the medical plans that the university offers to employees and retirees cover 30-day supplies of prescription drugs for a flat copayment. However, if you take medications on an ongoing basis, you can save money by using University of California pharmacies. At UC pharmacies, you can get 90-day supplies of your drugs for two copayments — you pay 1/3 less!
If you are enrolled in some of the Anthem Blue Cross plans (UC Care, UC High Option, UC Medicare PPO); UC Blue & Gold HMO (Health Net) or UC Medicare Choice (UnitedHealthcare):
Click here for a list of UC Davis outpatient pharmacies (in Davis and Sacramento).
Don't live near a UC pharmacy? You can get the same two co-payment deal for 90-day supplies through some plans at certain local retail pharmacies and/or through your plan's mail order pharmacy.
UC Blue & Gold HMO (Health Net): Local CVS pharmacies
UC Care (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, and Walgreens pharmacies
UC High Option (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, and Walgreens pharmacies
UC Medicare PPO (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, and Walgreens pharmacies
UC Medicare Choice (UnitedHealthcare): Local Costco, CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Target, Walmart, and Walgreens pharmacies
Click here for medical plan contact information. Log on to your plan's website as a member to access links to their mail order pharmacy programs.