Celebrate Your Family During Take our Children to Work Day
Thursday, April 27th, 2023 Davis Campus
Take Our Children to Work Day is an annual national celebration of employers hosting children at their workplace. Designed to be more than a career day, we like to think of it as a family-oriented “mini Picnic Day”.
The day not only exposes kids to what a parent or mentor does during their workday but shows children the value of their education and provides an opportunity to share how they envision their future and begin steps toward their goals in a hands-on and interactive environment. Kids will have the opportunity to see how our UC Davis community functions, instructs, learns and grows. The day is open to all UC Davis employees but the WorkLife celebration is only managed on the Davis campus.
We are currently working on finalizing the full list of activities for our 2023 TAKE OUR CHILDREN TO WORK DAY.
Please visit our website often, as events are confirmed they will be added below:
Please read through all the descriptions below before registering for the day.
REGISTRATION FOR THE DAY, and your chance to participate in the lottery for ONE RSVP event, will open two weeks before TOCS (April 10, 2023).
The LOTTERY will close on the Friday before TOCS at Noon (April 21, 2023).
After the lottery closes, you will still be able to register to participate in any of the OPEN activities through the Wednesday before TOCS (April 26, 2023).
IF SELECTED FOR AN RSVP EVENT, you will be notified by email on the Monday before TOCS (April 24, 2023).
The DISCOUNTED LUNCH COUPON will be emailed the week of TOCS, and then will be made available here. (Please print one for each child 12 years of age and younger.)
Please see the end of our webpage for:
- a printable Schedule (COMING SOON)
- a link to a Google Map of all events and (COMING SOON)
- some common "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs).
All 2023 Events (listed alphabetically)
- Aggie Athletics (Ages 5-13)
- See what it’s like to be an Aggie Football Player! Run through the tunnel to the field to participate in drills with some of our own Aggie football players and coaches. We’ll finish up with coach pep talk out on the field. Meet in front of the ticket office at UC Davis Health Stadium at 10am.
- Arboretum (All Ages)
- Come & Play at the Arboretum and Public Garden! Join us at for a fun morning filled with games such as capture the flag, frisbee, bubbles, photo scavenger hunt, coloring sheets and much more! We will be having fun give aways for our participants. Make sure to also stop by and enjoy a relaxing morning watching our wildlife in our red Adirondack chairs and picnic blankets. Most activities are appropriate for all ages! Lake Spafford from 10am - 12pm.
- Bohart Museum of Entomology (All Ages Welcome)
- Curious about who studies insects and why? Visit the Bohart Museum of Entomology, part of the Department of Entomology! TOCS participants are welcome to come by to explore the displays and hold live insects. The Bohart Museum will have open hours for TOCS from 9am-12pm AND 1pm-5pm.
- Botanical Conservatory (All Ages Welcome)
- Form and function of plants from the world’s deserts, tropical forests, and carnivorous habitats are emphasized along with plant interactions with insects and other organisms. Location: Botanical Conservatory Headhouse at North end of Conservatory (middle greenhouse) North of Storer Hall. Open house from 9am-5pm.
- California Raptor Center (Ages 6+)
The CRC is open for self-guided tours from 9am - 4pm. (https://crc.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/) The Center's non-releasable raptors are on the outdoor tour route, with informative placards at each exhibit describing the bird, its backstory, and the natural history of its species. The small on-site museum is open as well with viewable taxidermy and interactive raptor-related activities. There is no charge for parking. Please keep self-guided tour groups to 6 people or fewer to minimize stress to the birds. To protect the Center's birds from Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza, please walk through the sanitizing footbath at the entrance of the facility when you arrive.
- Campus Recreation (Ages 4+)
On April 27th, the UC Davis Rec Pool is participating in Take Our Children to Work Day by offering Rec Swimming activities. Come and join in the fun with in-water Basketball, Water Volleyball, and for stronger swimmers, a 12ft diving well with a 1m diving board (children must pass a 25m swim test to swim in the diving well). Whether you’re a competitive swimmer or a little tentative in the water, there’s fun for everyone at the Recreation Pool. Open activity from 12pm-2:45pm.
- Center for Equine Health (All Ages Welcome) - RSVP Required
- Calling all horse crazy kids! The Center for Equine Health is the home of horse teaching, research, and outreach for the School of Veterinary Medicine. Join us to learn what it’s like to be an equine veterinarian, meet some of our amazing equine ambassadors, and find out why horses are such special animals! Participants are asked to stay in designated areas and refrain from touching animals or taking pictures outside of these areas. Long pants and closed toed shoes are recommended. There is no charge for parking. Located off Old Davis Road, first driveway on the left after the train tracks. 10am and 11am.
- Chemistry Show (All Ages Welcome)
- A mini version of the Chemistry club's annual Picnic Day Show. The Show consists of demonstrations that showcase chemistry as the science of change. Trust us, you'll be awestruck. The show lasts 30 minutes and will be on the northeast side of the Chemistry building beside Rock Hall at 3pm. Rain cancels the show.
- Coffee House (Ages 6+) - RSVP Required
- Don’t miss this opportunity to see behind-the-scenes of the largest restaurant on campus! See what goes into serving over 7,000 people a day, and learn about the Coffee House’s unique history and how its student-driven food service model works. Tours of the kitchen area will be followed by either build-your-own personal pizzas for lunch at 11am, 12pm and 1pm OR a cookie decorating session for a take-home treat at 2pm and 3pm. Meet at the Quad flagpole. Closed-toe shoes are required.
- Crocker Nuclear Lab (All Ages Welcome)
- Join the Crocker Nuclear lab for an exploration of particle physics and how they’re used to advance scientific endeavors. Particle production and acceleration will be demonstrated along with visuals of the diverse applications: radiation effects mimicking cosmic radiation, eye therapy treatments via proton beam, nuclear physics experiments, isotope production for medical applications, chemical profiling of historical artifacts with Proton-Induced X-ray Emission, and characterization of wildfire smoke using ion beam analysis. Find us in the Jungerman Hall lobby, across from the Bainer Hall lawn from 10am - 2pm.
Visitors will receive a proton collimator while supplies last. More information can be found on our website, crocker.ucdavis.edu.
- Dairy Barn (All Ages Welcome) - RSVP Required
- MOOOO! Everyone knows UC Davis has cows but here’s a chance to get an up close and personal look at the bovines at the Dairy Barn. Participants are reminded to stay with their guide at all times while at the barn. Meet at the parking lot behind the dairy. For their health and safety, keep in mind that you are not allowed to touch the adorable baby bovines. Tours at 2pm and 3pm. RSVP required.
- Dodgeball with Youth Programs (Ages 6+) - RSVP Required
- Dodge, duck, dip, and dive with Youth Programs summer staff for a few fun rounds of dodgeball! Located in the grassy area in front of the Rec Pool entrance, Youth Programs summer staff will go over rules and safety guidelines before refereeing multiple rounds of dodgeball. A water bottle is highly recommended. 2pm. RSVP required.
- DVM: Anatomy Lab (Ages 10+)
- Have you ever wondered...How big is an Elephant Skull? How about, how tall is an Ostrich? Or, how big is a Galapagos Turtle Shell? Come on by the Anatomy Department located at Vet Med 3A, Room 1215, and get an up close and personal view of our collection of skeletons and other various specimens. Open house from 9am-12pm.
- Engineering Design Center (All Ages Welcome)
- Future Engineers, Designers, and Creatives Unite! Have you ever seen a 3-D printer in action? We are sure these are the "droids" you are looking for. Who needs a Light Saber when you can cut with a Laser! Come check our our NEW Engineering Student Design Center in 1500 Bainer Hall (access from the East side of the Bainer North wing). Open House from 10am-2pm.
- Facilities Management/Fleet Services (Ages 5+) - RSVP Required
- Join us at Facilities Management, Fleet Services as we make ooey-gooey glittery slime for Take Our Children to Work Day! Taking place at 1pm, this fun activity is available to children ages 5+ and each child will leave with at least one container of homemade slime to-go. Tables, chairs and pop-ups will be set up in the Fleet Services yard located at 740 La Rue Road. Parking available onsite. We recommend children wear appropriate clothing for crafting and closed toe shoes. RSVP required.
- Fire Station (All Ages Welcome)
- Join us for a tour of the UC Davis Fire Station #34, meet our Campus Firefighters and join in some activities that Firefighters do every day- like putting on turnouts and using a fire hose. You can even watch a Student Resident Firefighter use the station pole! Open House from 11am-1pm.
- Goat Barn (Ages 4+) - RSVP Required
- Bring your kids to meet our kids! Visit the Goat Barn for a goat milking demonstration, brief tour, and the chance to meet goat kids. Please wear footwear and clothing that has NOT been around any other livestock. Participants are reminded to stay with their guide at all times. Enter via the gate by the Raptor Center and park along the fence or by the old yellow barn. Tours at 10am and 11am. RSVP required.
- Homemade Ice Cream with Youth Programs (Ages 6+) - RSVP Required
- Bring the kids over to join Youth Programs for a fun frozen treat in the Youth Programs courtyard! Youth Programs summer counselors will walk you through how to make your own homemade ice cream using milk (Non-dairy milk available upon request), ice, rock salt, vanilla extract, and sugar. After, you can add some of our complimentary toppings and enjoy! 2pm. RSVP required.
- Linguistics (Ages 7-12) - RSVP Required
- Participate in a real speech science experiment! Have you ever wondered how you’re able to understand speech? Or how your mouth and tongue coordinate to produce it? Come to the UC Davis Phonetics Lab (Department of Linguistics), 251 Kerr Hall to directly participate in a real speech science experiment (ages 7-12). The appointment is for 45 minutes: the experiment will take about 5 minutes. After, you'll see a short presentation on our research and have time for kids (and adults!) to ask questions and get a tour of the lab. Participation in the experiment is voluntary; the study has been approved by the UC Davis Institutional Review Board (IRB) ethics committee. For more information about consent, go to: https://phonlab.ucdavis.edu/child-consent-participate-experiment-volunteer. Tours at 10am, 11am, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm. RSVP required
- Manetti Shrem Museum (All Ages Welcome)
- The Manetti Shrem Museum is a contemporary art museum and includes exhibitions and artwork that address the issues of our time. We are visited by many intergenerational groups including those with young children -- it really is at the discretion of their caregivers. Please take a look at our Current Exhibits (https://manettishremmuseum.ucdavis.edu/current-exhibitions) prior to visiting to get a sense for what you will see before you arrive. Museum Open from 11am - 6pm.
Make art together at the Manetti Shrem Museum this Take Our Children to Work Day. Create a painting that (literally) stands out by piping out foamy paint into a colorful, playful design with a satisfying texture, a fan favorite from our weekend Art Spark program. Art activity from 1pm - 4pm.
- Mouse Biology Program (All Ages Welcome) - RSVP Required
- Explore the fascinating world of mice and biology with us at the Mouse Biology Program! Join us for a fun and interactive lab tour where you will learn about how we provide services to researchers and get a sneak peek at our cryopreservation storage facility, home to one of the country's largest collections of mouse models. Located at 2795 Second Street, Suite 400. Tour and Activity at 3:30pm. RSVP required.
- Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology (Ages 6+) - RSVP Required
- How do scientists’ study wild animals and conservation issues? Visit the Department of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology and take a tour of the Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology! Get a sneak peek at the research collections of birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, and amphibians. You’ll see real specimens (study skins, fluid-preserved, eggs, nests, and skeletons) of species that occur around the world. Meet in the East side of the first floor of the Academic Surge Building (455 Crocker Lane) in the main hallway by the MFWB exhibits under the wildlife banners. Check us out before TOC to Work Day at https://mwfb.ucdavis.edu/ Please note, strollers are not allowed in the facility. Restrooms and drinking fountain available. Tours will start at 10am and 11am and last approximately 40 min. RSVP required.
- Police Department (All Ages Welcome)
- A tour of the Police Department starting with a special hello from our Chief of Police. We will visit our fingerprinting technician for your thumbprint that you can take home with you. An officer will be available on the tour for any questions and answers, and to show a patrol car with all of its gadgets. Open house from 11am-1pm.
- Rats in Research (Ages 8+) - RSVP Required
- Working with rats is fun. They enjoy a nice massage while being handled. Rats have helped us study many diseases and treatments which have helped people and other animals live longer and healthier lives. Come to rat handling class to learn ways to work with rats that make them more comfortable and provide them with the best care we can so they can help us find cures and treatments for many diseases. 2pm and 3pm. RSVP required.
- Residential Dining (All Ages Welcome)
- Have lunch like a student! TOCS participants are invited to have lunch at one of the Dining Halls—they’re not like they used to be, they resemble a really cool food court now. Special for TOCS day, kids up to age 12 can get a $2.00 lunch. We will send all registered TOCS participants the link to the coupon by Monday, April 24 that can be presented at the checkstand for the discount. Lunch is from 11am – 2pm at all three dining rooms – Segundo, Tercero and Cuarto. The menu features all you care to eat soup and salad bar, grill items, entrees and desserts.
- Sheepmowers (All Ages)
- COMING SOON!
- Tiny World of Microscopes (Ages 6+)
- Drop by and see what a scientist sees when she looks into a microscope. View microscopic organisms that wiggle on the slide with a compound microscope, and every day items from your own pocket with a stereo/dissecting microscope. Our Microscope Services staff and student assistants will be available to discuss the different types of rental microscopes that we have to offer, and the various components that allow them to function. We've relocated and now operate within the campus Scientific Store. Come find us at 650 La Rue Rd, south of the Tercero Residence Halls and Visitor Parking Lot 47. Open House from 9am - 12pm. Bring cool stuff from home to look at up close, and take home a magnifying glass!
- UC Davis Arts in Public Places (All Ages Welcome)
Art in public places enhances the beauty of our campus for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, and they also convey the emotional power and spiritual values of art itself to every student, no matter his or her course of study or discipline. Art in public places are central to the experience of UC Davis. LINK
- Unitrans (Ages 5+) - RSVP Required
- Tour the Unitrans Maintenance Facility and go for a ride on one of the busses! See how those great London buses make the University GO! Meet at the Maintenance facility on Garrod Road at 12pm. RSVP required.
- Vegetable Crops and Greenhouses (All Ages Welcome)
- Come see our new greenhouses! CA&ES has over 150 Greenhouses on the UC Davis Campus. The greenhouses serves over 100 research and teaching projects related to plants including, plant breeding, insects, plant diseases and ecology!!
DIRECTIONS: Go to the Core Greenhouses located next to the Bowley Plant Sciences Teaching Facility. Parking is located on the west side of the ‘Core Headhouse’. Open Tours at 11am and 12pm.
- Veterinary Genetics Lab (Ages 10+) - RSVP Required
- Are you interested in genetics? Have you ever wondered what DNA looks like? Come talk to the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory team to learn about animal genetics and how genetic testing can improve animal health. After a short discussion, you will get a chance to isolate and look at DNA from strawberries! Located off of Old Davis Road, from the central campus, enter the third gate on your left after you pass the freeway entrance. Sessions at 10am and 11am. RSVP required.
- Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital (Ages 10+) - RSVP Required
- The tour of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital includes both the small and large animal clinics and will give you an opportunity to see the workings of an animal hospital. You won’t see many animals, however, because they are being treated for an illness. Meet downstairs, outside the small animal clinic entrance lobby. Parking is available in lots 50, 54, 55, and on Garrod Drive. Do not park in any of the spaces reserved specifically for VMTH clients, as you will run the risk of being ticketed. Walk around to the right (north) of the VMTH (an older building behind lot 50), where you will see the entrance to the small animal clinic. Walk in the direction of Reception 1, 2 and Emergency Signs. While on the tour it is important to stay close to the wall, and not crowd the hallways, as clinicians and staff need to be able to do their job and respond to any emergency situations. Please remember to be quiet as this is a functioning hospital. Please do not peek into exam room windows or take pictures. TWO (2) Tours from 1:30pm - 3pm. RSVP required.
- Women's Resources and Research Center (All Ages Welcome) - RSVP Required
- Join the Women's Resources and Research Center for an opportunity to learn about transgender trailblazer, Marsha P. Johnson, and create your own flower crown in her honor. Sessions at 9am, 11am, 1pm and 3pm. RSVP required.
Printable Schedule (COMING SOON)
Link to Google Map of Confirmed Events (COMING SOON)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the child's age range for this event?
- The national program is geared towards children aged 6-12. Please see event listings above for more specific age range for each activity offered.
- Do I need to take the day off to participate in this event?
- Participating employees should coordinate with their supervisors for time away to ensure coverage for operational needs. Limited release time is appropriate with supervisory approval.
- How does this event work with my child's school schedule?
- You may need to check your child out of school early to participate in some activities.
- What are the options for parking on campus if I don’t have a parking pass?
- ParkMobile, Aggie's Pay-to-Park app, is the campus solution for daily parking needs.
Please visit the UC Davis Transportation Services website to download the app, setup your profile and learn more.